Various people choose to travel long distance in search of cheaper medical services and dentistry is one of them. Some people even plan to travel abroad if their local region doesn’t have specialists and they can get services at a distance. No matter what the reason is, but this has given a tremendous growth to travel dentistry and it has been widely accepted.
Pros And Cons Of Travel Dentistry
Looking for Domestic Dentists
You can easily find dentists who specialize in what exactly you are looking for but choose only if it is not available in your locality. This is usually in the case of cosmetic dentistry where travel dentistry have become so common. Not everyone is specialized in performing cosmetic surgeries, choosing a cosmetic dentist at a distance can be expensive but it is ideal to get yourself treated from someone who is trained and holds expertise in it.
International Dental Care
You can easily find assistance somewhere near your city but if you plan to go abroad for dental care especially cosmetic dentistry then Mexico can be an ideal destination. People choose to go abroad as the treatments offered are comparatively cheaper and highly affordable than U.S. Mexico generally offers highly trained professionals, low operational costs, though the technology used is not much advanced, yet is is preferred.
Process of Finding a Travel Dentist
You can begin the search online and locate the top dentists but try not traveling too far off as that would create trouble during post dental checkups. The preliminary screening would include on online survey that might ask about your medical and dental history which need to be filled prior fixing an appointment.
You might even be asked to scan a picture of your smile for the cosmetic dentist after which your appointment can be fixed. Travel dentistry often provides comfort list that make sit feel much like a vacation, it might include free transportation from your hotel to the dental clinic. Depending what cosmetic procedure is advised, you schedule will be planned or you might be asked to visit at few intervals.
There are various credentials involved with dentistry and every state in U.S has a board that has a strict control over the dental standards. Various safety measures are taken for infection control, blood borne diseases, use of X-ray , waste disposal and a lot more.
U.S dentists complete their dental education and receive certification and ongoing training to keep themselves updated with the latest technology. A cosmetic dentist must have accomplished training from American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and follow certain procedures which might not be the case in other countries.
Dental education is almost the same but the extra training for specialization to become a cosmetic dentist, endodontist or orthodontist varies to an extent. When choosing a travel dentist, it becomes difficult to evaluate the facilities involved, staffing and skills of the dentists, technology used.
Though choosing travel dentistry can give you effective results and be friendly to your pocket but it also comes with few risk that is greatly associated to traveling. While traveling to a distant location you cannot be there till the time you recover completely and the ability to position yourself well as per the convenience gets limited while you travel.
The patient can get infection which can lead to swelling or complications that might involve addition dental care. While choosing the dentist near by can assure you infection free treatment and in case of complication the treatment can be offer immediately.
Minor dental treatment can be a part of your vacation but major ones should be strictly avoided as the post dental instruction can pose various obstacles for travelers. Recovery time varies from individual to individual but avoiding travel after major surgeries especially full mouth reconstruction can be a good idea.
Few Tips to Follow While Choosing Travel Dentistry
1. One has to be extra careful while choosing a dentist abroad, you follow some measure when you look for a dentist locally so why not confirm the same abroad because your money and oral health both are involved.
2. Ask clearly about the dental credentials of the dentist and be sure of asking specific details of on-going training if any.
3. Keep the complications in mind and be prepared as to who to consult in case any complication arises. If you dental treatment involves a touch up later, how would you mange to travel abroad or can that be done locally as well.
4. Be in touch with a local dentist who can offer solution post travel dental treatment if needed.
5. Do not forget to carry your report of the treatment you underwent abroad. It should have the details of the procedures involved and the material used so that it can be referred to in the later years.
6. During the procedures do confirm about the process related to infection control. It could involve question about the dental gloves, autoclave sterilizer, dry oven sterilization, disposable items like needles etc.